If you're anything like me, you're anxious about so many things it can stop you from moving forward. Every now and again I feel like crying in bed, and that's when I need to phone a friend and realise that we are all in the same boat really. A small pep talk now and again won't hurt.
1. Not everyone is going to like you.
This is not necessarily your doing. Sometimes you'll meet someone and they just won't click with you. That doesn't mean that they dislike you as such, it mostly just means that they don't click with you instantly and wouldn't think to invite you out for lunch or a party etc.
This is okay, and you will have done it to someone at some point. There is nothing wrong with you.
2. Everyone is a little bit weird.
Okay, so maybe others more so, but everyone has a quirk. And by quirk I'm not talking about some hipster, Instagram, Hot but geeky bullshit quirk. I mean the nitty gritty, text people on the toilet, never wash you makeup brushes, and other borderline disgusting things we all do on a daily basis.
Bottom line: Everyone checks Instagram on the loo.
3. Use technology less.
This one is actually very difficult. And what makes it worse is that, technology is a modern necessity, and we us it all the time. You can't give it up entirely without a massive lifestyle change, but do more without it; go to the gym and don't post a selfie about it - you will be red faced and you will be 'that guy'
4. Take personal time
I wish I could phone into work and take a day off as a 'personal day', without being ill. Sometimes you wake up in the morning and just don't want to go into work that day.
The point is you need to take time to yourself. Drink the tea, light a candle, watch a cartoon. It's okay.
5. Exercise
I know, I know. We ALL hate this advice, but it's the best one. In a years time you'll wish you'd started sooner, so find something you enjoy and get moving.
6. Stick with things
I'm terrible for starting things and not finishing them. Actually, I only put this point in because I nearly stopped writing this post out of sheer laziness.
7. It's normal to not be in a graduate level job after university
This one is very specific but it isn't drilled in enough whilst you're a student. It's totally okay to have to live with your parents after university until you get the job that gets your foot in the careers door. Don't worry about it.
8. Drink more water
I don't drink enough, my friends don't drink enough, and I bet £10 you don't either. Find a way to drink more, I personally like those novelty plastic bottles with straws because it fools me into thinking I'm having fun. Drink the water.
9. Eat better
I'm not going to say 'only eat healthy all the time' because that's an eating disorder waiting to happen. Just make better choices, have the McDonalds if you really want it, but don't have it every night. Broccoli in one hand, Nuggets in the other. Balance.
10. You're probably not fat
I don't mean medically. You spend so long looking at yourself that everything becomes a flaw. You see a belly, but that girl at work thinks you're perfect. Don't put yourself down.
11. Buy the shoes
If they make you feel good, buy them. Unless you'll be using numerous credit cards, then financially it's not advisable. But if you have the money, and they make you happy, do it.
12. Effort proves more than words
If you're texting that person all the time and they say they're really into you but they're 'busy that day' all the time, then you're probably better listening to your gut. I know it's hard, but people can be selfish without realising it. There's someone out there for you that will drive to your house with chicken nuggets at 2am to prove they care. Find that person.
13. Drink Responsibly
I mean, this advice is even on the side of the bottle. If you know you're a crying, vomiting mess when you're drunk, drink less. You can't be drunk and not embarrass yourself, know your limits. Also, why would you want to be hungover, honestly.
14. Be honest with yourself
'I'll wake up early and do it in the morning' No, you won't. Don't lie to yourself. Stay up and finish it or it won't get done. This leads on to the next point...
15. Organise yourself
Nobody is forcing a filofax onto you, but find a method of organisation that works best for you, then you won't stress the night before a deadline.
16. Save
Save for a rainy day. Save for a house. Save for that jacket you really want. We live in a materialistic society and it's sad that money runs the world, but don't leave yourself short for things like your boiler breaking.
17. Try and sleep better
I say try because I know how it feels to be a bad sleeper. But get an early night regularly to rest up, especially if you've been tired for a long time
18. Be self aware
Know about you; your strengths; your weaknesses; how you make people feel. It'll make you a better person overall, and you need to know yourself best.
19. Don't judge anyone else's life choices
Chances are you've made a few decisions people judged you for too. Whether its your diet, that guy who was bad for you, or that dress you loved the colour of. We make our own decisions and mistakes and we need to learn for ourselves.
20. Find something your passionate about
But don't stress about this. There are 19 year old DJ's and 60 year old marathon runners. When you find something you love you'll know, give it your all.
21. Minimalism isn't just an aesthetic
I'm not about to start preaching a simple lifestyle, I'm a terrible hoarder of clothes. But there's something to be learned from minimalism as a lifestyle. We're all materialistic and definitely don't need half the stuff we have. So put some music on and have a clear out, you'll feel better for it.
22. Age is just a number
This isn't a justification for the 16 year old with the 25 year old boyfriend, that's an entirely different topic. My point is, your age is irrelevant with your choices. If you're having a crisis and want to change jobs/hair/weight/look/house etc. then sit down and work through these thoughts. It doesn't matter that you're not a fresh faced 18 year old.
23. Everyone is faking it
That girl at work that 'has her life together'? She goes home and eats far too much dominos and binge watches KUWTK too. It's all a facade, you only feel like you're not accomplishing anything cause you think everyone else is; but they feel exactly the same as you.
