5 F O R 5 K

You can moan all you like about not being fit, if you're bothering to do anything about it. We all do it; say we're going to get fitter, especially around the new year. What we lack is motivation, but I've put together 5 tips that I wish I had been told in the beginning.

1. Get some proper running shoes

I'm not saying that cheaper alternatives are not good, but a lot of them are designed for a look instead of function. The best advice I have for new runners is to get some decent trainers. Go into your local sport shop and ask for something supportive for your feet. Otherwise you're going to get sore and it will put you off.

Choose whatever brand you like and go with it, personally I don't like Nike but choose what fits you best.
1  |  2  |  3 


2. Stick with it

There are going to be times when you are starting out when you will genuinely want to sit down and cry after 5 minutes of running. There are also going to be times you can run for 25 minutes solid and hardly notice you have done it. My point is not every training session is the same. I can run 5K easy most of the time, but there are also those runs that I can't catch my breath after barely a mile.

3. Lots of thin layers

You'll learn this one fast, but you will be freezing when you start and melting half way through. You know your own body best but find the happy medium so that you don't start off ice and end as a puddle.

4. Stay visible

This is one that I wasn't told but as a driver I cannot stress it enough. Do not go out for a run in winter dressed in full black and wonder why you nearly get hit by a car. Reflective clothing is always for sale and bands you can snap on are cheap. Staying safe is most important.

5. Don't expect miracles

You're not going to go from couch potato to Mo Farrah in a week. You know that. So don't get upset if it takes you a while to get into it and improve. Just make sure you keep going and improve at your own pace.